VLC is a free multimedia player that operates on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. This VLC is a video player that can play DVDs, Audio CDs, and other video files.
“VLC is unable to open the MRL” is one of the most serious issues in this VLC media player. Ownership issues, outdated VLC clients, firewalls, and the dislocation of files from local computer storage can all cause this error.
Here are some suggestions for resolving these troubles. There you go. Keep reading.
HOW TO FIX ” VLC IS UNABLE TO OPEN THE MRL?”
Try these methods to resolve the “VLC is unable to open the MRL”
# 1 Refresh your PC
Refreshing your Pc is the best idea. This step refreshes the operating system and clears any temporary data corruption that may be causing the issue.
# 2 Make sure your media file is working
First, confirm whether your media file is working. To find that
- Try playing the file using other applications
- Go to File and open network stream
- copy the URL you’re trying to access from there
- Paste the URL in your chrome browser or another media player
Still, if it doesn’t play then the problem is most likely caused by the source media file.
# 3 Turn off the firewall
To eliminate the possibility that the firewall is preventing access to the media file. You will have to turn it off.
- Click on the windows tab then click on settings
- On the Window settings section, click on update and security
- At the update & security section, click on windows security located on the left side
- next at the protected areas of windows security click on firewall and network protection
- Press on the active firewall, then toggle off the Microsoft defender firewall option
- After turning off the firewall check the MRL file again. Check if the VLC is working now
- Still, If it doesn’t work then turn on the firewall by following the previous steps, and then you can add VLC to its exception list
To add to the exception list try these steps
- First, type firewall at the search bar of your windows
- At the firewall and network protection section click on allow an application through the firewall
- Click on change settings
- Select the checkbox for applications on your computer that you want to allow communication over the internet without being stopped by a firewall
- In here you want to add VLC. If VLC is not allowed on the apps and features list
- Hit on the browser and search for the destination folder of the VLC application
- Press the private and public check box to narrow down whether you want just networks that are secure to allow this communication
- Click on OK to confirm
# 4 Turn off the anti-virus software
There is a possibility that the anti-virus software of your computer is blocking the source media file from being accessed. Try temporarily disable the antivirus software
- Click on the windows and go to settings
- At the windows setting section click on update and security
- select the windows security at the left side, then click on virus threat protection at the protection areas section of windows security
- Go to manage settings and switch off the real-time protection
# 5 Reinstall VLC
Lastly, reinstall VLC. There is a chance that the problem is caused by corrupted VLC software. To eliminate it try uninstalling the program from your computer and then get the latest version from the website https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html
After downloading the application, restart your Pc to apply changes made. Check if the “VLC is unable to open the MRL” issue persists.
You can use the above methods to fix the “VLC is unable to open the MRL” issue.
1. How do I open MRL files with VLC?
“VLC is unable to open the MRL” is one of the most serious issues in this VLC media player. Ownership issues, outdated VLC clients, firewalls, and the dislocation of files from local computer storage can all cause this error. You can follow the above-mentioned steps to rectify the issue.
2. Can anti-Virus affect the VLC player?
Antivirus software plays no part in the player’s operation. If the source file you’re trying to play is from a different course, it could be from the internet or from an external hard drive. In that instance, the anti-virus software may flag your files as a possible threat and prohibit them from running. This is where anti-virus software interferes with the VLC media player’s normal operation. Anti-virus software would be useless in a video player if it wasn’t for this.
Latest updates and news visit The Market Activity